Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Masochistic Ambition

One day I decided that I could run a marathon, 26.2 miles. "People do it all the time. Why can't I?" Training for a marathon was pretty much the way I guaranteed that I would lose the baby weight I put on with Parker. At first, about 2 months after I had Parker, I couldn't even run a mile. What was 25.2 more miles? Yeah, it was that bad.

I planned on doing the Top of Utah marathon in Logan, UT. I went to college in Logan and it is sort of my second home. I loved the idea of running through the canyons, watching the colorful leaves fall from trees, the autumn breeze in my face, smiling intensely as I crossed the finish line. Of course, in all my imagining I forgot to add in the pain I would feel in my toes, my legs, my butt, well, just about everywhere.

So I trained and I felt pretty good about it. I ran the Bear Lake half marathon (13.1 miles) in 2 hrs. and 5 min. and felt great afterward. I thought, hey I can run a marathon at the same pace, maybe a little faster, and get in around 4 hours. Ha ha. I didn't realize that running a full marathon is completely different than running a half.

I actually slacked on my training. I got sick. I took a couple of weeks off from climbing the grand teton. Things came up and I didn't make it my priority. Oops. Who'd have thought I'd regret that?

So September 2009 came and I ran the Top of Utah with my mom and younger brother. I really enjoyed the first half of it. I was running it at my half marathon pace, but the second half...I didn't like so much. I started thinking that forcing people to run farther and farther would be a really effective method of torture.
Daddy was taking care of Parker. Hence the lack of shoes and sitting in the dirt.


Parker and Matt at Mile 15. It was so good to see them.

But I finished.
Going strong at the finish line. Or at least trying to.

I came in at 4 hours and 47 minutes. Not such a great time. It is about an 11 min/mile pace. Remember my goal was a 9 min/mile pace. But I finished.

Mom, Me, & Cameron. We look good for just torturing ourselves.

It is so hard for me to be proud of myself because I really did not make my goal..even close to it. I guess I'll have to do another one. Maybe it will help me get into shape after baby #2.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Wahoo!!! Way to go, Ash! I don't know if I have the desire to ever run another marathon. I've ran a lot of smaller races since then, but marathons are tough and long and tough. My friend in Idaho, an OB-Gyn, just ran her third Ironman (2.4 mi swim, 112 mi bike, and a full marathon). Insane! I could never do that.

I'm proud of you! Way to go!!

Amber said...

You did awesome! I know girls who trained like crazy and didn't do that good. I am proud of you! We should run one together after baby #2 I am planning on running another one in a couple of years:)

Kateka said...

Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying you are pregnant? I am behind on the blogs I read, and I am still catching up on your entries. Maybe you announce it another post, but seriously, holy cow. Are you? Congratulations if so! And even if not, CONGRATULATIONS on the marathon!

I ran the Top of Utah marathon in 2003 (good grief, 6 years ago) and I never ever ever thought I'd run another until I just read your entry. Maybe I'll run another one day. You make me want to do it.

Ashley said...

NOOO, I'm not pregnant. Don't start spreadin' the rumor. I'm just planning ahead.

JBUDD NEWS said...

HEY! I took those pictures! sweet!